We're (Nearly) in the Money.


Sometimes, good news comes in small, yet no less valid packages; so it was for me today, when I received a breakdown of my Edinburgh settlement.

Now, don’t get me wrong: the amount quoted won’t act in lieu of a pension (Ha!:“Pension”), but I'm pleased to say not only will the remaining half of my venue hire fee be covered by my ticket sales, I’ll also get nearly two hundred quid back.

‘What’s this, David?” I hear you ask. “They're paying you?”
“Yes, that’s right,” I reply to no-one in particular, “£191.07, to be precise.”

Let’s not get too excited; if you tally up the cost of PR, digs, flyerers, technicians, printing, travelling and living, I’m nowhere near being in profit - but I am up on last year, which suggests if I'd had a later performance time, I may have fared even better.

There’s definitely a small sense progression when I compare things to 2016; particularly now I’ve had a few months’ distance. The outlay was greater this year, but I got slightly more press coverage (the mention in the Telegraph & Comedy Central’s Funniest Jokes lists being the best bit) and sold slightly more tickets, despite the show kicking off at the same difficult start time of midday. I hoped for more reviews admittedly, but I was happier my show, and came out the other side of the Fringe relatively unbroken.

It’s surprising how these things can give you a better outlook. It certainly made today’s run-through in preparation for next week’s London dates more enjoyable than yesterday, though this could also be attributed to me being more up-to-speed a second day in. Now, forgive me if I go and blow the money on disco biscuits.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.