Skip to main content

Disappointed, of HItchin.


Today, in an unprecedented moment for Mostly Comedy, we sold 150 tickets (our total capacity) for Jack Dee’s appearance next month to our mailing list in just fourteen minutes; a remarkable way to mark our club’s ninth birthday, which was sullied by a slew of complaints we received almost instantly from a few of the punters who missed out.

Not all of the emails, tweets and Facebook posts were like this; plenty were balanced and understanding of the fact the gig sold out so fast purely to the huge influx of interest. But while some people quickly grasped the situation, others couldn’t get to grips with it and continued to hammer the point, even after we posted the following statement - all within an hour of the show going on sale - to explain why things fell the way they did.



The comment that sticks in my mind the most came in an email from someone who said, “I’m so disappointed in you guys”.

That hurt. So much work goes into what we do and even into just confirming that line-up - and the fact it was such a coup was illustrated by how quickly those tickets went. Fourteen minutes: that’s no time at all; up until now, the fastest we sold out was in just an hour, and that was in a smaller room. Yet despite trying to clarify the situation as much as we could, someone felt the need to tell us they felt we’d personally let them down; as Alan Partridge would put it, “This country”.

Thankfully, tonight’s ninth anniversary gig at our old haunt the Market Theatre went a long way to redress the balance, even though I felt I’d spent more time responding to people’s complaints today than in preparing for what we'd do onstage. It was a cracking sold out night to add to the long list of cracking sold out nights - and to top it all, we avoided being lynched. Personally, I’d pictured a 'Blues Brothers singing Rawhide behind chicken wire to a room full of Country & Western fans while they threw bottles at them' situation, which thankfully didn’t play out - though there’s still time, I guess.

The nicest moment for me was at the top of the gig when we showed a video of Sean Hughes performing in the space, as a tribute to the fact he sadly passed away last week. When I watched it while we setting up, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end; it’s such a sad loss. We’ll miss him.

Tonight's line-up (left to right): me, Frank Sanazi, Katy Brand, Glyn and Paul Sweeney.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Have Parker from Thunderbirds and Noel Gallagher ever been seen in the same room? The resemblance is uncanny. So much so, I think something’s afoot. If my suspicions are correct, I've stumbled across a secret that will blow the music and puppet industry wide apart. In the mid-60s / mid-90s at least. It doesn’t take long to see the signposts. There’s the similarity between the name of Oasis’ first single, Supersonic, and Supermarianation, Gerry Anderson’s puppetry technique. The Gallagher brothers would often wear Parkas . Live Forever was clearly a reference to Captain Scarlet and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants to the size difference between Noel and his bandmates. The more you think about it, the more brazen it gets. It’s fishier than Area 51, Paul is Dead and JFK's assassination put together. The only glitch to the theory is scale . According to Wikipedia, Anderson’s marionettes were 1’10” and Gallagher is 5’8”. How does he maintain an illusion of avera...