'University Challenged 2018/19: Volume Seven' (17.09.18)


I barely took part in my usual Monday evening tweet-along-to-University-Challenge-athon this evening for a couple of reasons: (1) because I’ve grown a little bored of the show if I’m honest, and (2) I’m feeling a bit less childish of late.

I read an article a few weeks back, written from the perspective of a few contestants who’ve appeared on the game show and weren’t prepared for the virtual onslaught they received online as a result of this, literally in a virtual sense. The article was mostly written from the point of view of women who felt the way they looked took priority over their actual abilities, which is something I don’t believe I’m guilty of, yet it still made me think.

I’d like to hope what I do is never seen as an attack; I’m not seeking these people out directly and copying them in to my feedback, and the sort of thing I write is meant to be harmless and comedic, but it’s so easy to cross a line so that's no longer the case. This is partly why I’ve been feeling less inclined to take part in such obvious silliness.

That said, I still couldn’t help but be a little cheeky - it’s a tough affliction to unlearn - so I've also included a few tweets I posted whilst watching the new University Challenge side-project, ‘Monkman and Seagull’s Genius Guide to Britain’; they might be of vague interest, but then again, they may not; still: at least no-one was harmed in the process.

Bristol Vs. Queen's - Belfast (17.09.18)

‘University Challenge’ 17.09.18

8:36PM: I once made Breen's face using iron filings and a magnet.

8:38PM: "Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"

8:44PM: Breen, son of Merryfield.

8:48PM: Breen grew tired of his uncle's stories of what he got up to "during the war".

8:52PM: Questions about women? Surely not.

8:55PM: Iredale's dressed like a trainee Monkman.


‘Monkman & Seagull’s Genius Guide to Britain’ - Episode 1 (17.09.18)

8:15PM: "Don't mow me, please". Brilliant.

8:23PM: ...like a nerdy Bill and Ted.

8:28PM: Jodrell Bank sounds like rhyming slang: "I'm having a Jodrell Bank".

8:28PM: "Cable Guy".

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.