Skip to main content

Quick, Before I Fall Asleep.


This morning, Glyn, Glyn’s son Max and I went to the Broadway Cinema and Theatre in Letchworth, to have a look at the auditorium ahead of next Thursday’s Mostly Comedy and to check a couple of technical things for it.

It’s fair to say they’ve done a good job transforming what was once just a cinema screen to a functioning theatre, with a stage, wing space and dressing rooms, by extending the back of the building to create more depth. It will be a good night, what with an excellent line-up (Arthur Smith and Norman Lovett) and more material than usual from us. It should look very smart; the main techie point we wanted to check today was whether the in-house projection would be suitable to run our slide show on. It turns out it is; with the right lighting, it should make for a slicker, more high-end version of the usual club night, with more of a sense of a show to it. It’s just a shame that the local papers either haven’t given the event any coverage at all (in the case of The Comet), or ran the article a few days too late, meaning it won’t make the physical copy until the day before the event, which is not much of a turnaround for people to book.

I’m disappointed that The Comet didn’t run anything; I thought the fact an eight year-running Hitchin comedy club that’s gradually grown over time - playing host to some of the biggest acts on the scene - was doing a special gala version of the club in a new theatre in Letchworth might constitute news. Sadly, no-one there is joining up the dots to take on board the bigger picture. Despite the level of comics we bring to the area and how long we’ve worked in Hitchin and its environs putting on everything from actor / muso songs to comedy plays, nobody in the local press seems willing or aware of what we’ve done and how to frame it. It’s a shame, as the amount of sold out Mostly Comedys we have in recent months mean people regularly miss out through not knowing about it; I find it a little irritating that people will arrive at the Sun -or in this case The Broadway - unaware of what’s going on in the Ballroom or who’s appearing; this has never happened, which is ridiulcous, as just a little forethought would have meant I’d capitause

This afternoon, I ran my show for Leicester tomorrow and packed my props cases so their ready to go. I think I’ve got everything i need in the Suitcase etc. I just have to remember it all tomorrow. I think I can do that; if you're in the area, come and see me then.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Have Parker from Thunderbirds and Noel Gallagher ever been seen in the same room? The resemblance is uncanny. So much so, I think something’s afoot. If my suspicions are correct, I've stumbled across a secret that will blow the music and puppet industry wide apart. In the mid-60s / mid-90s at least. It doesn’t take long to see the signposts. There’s the similarity between the name of Oasis’ first single, Supersonic, and Supermarianation, Gerry Anderson’s puppetry technique. The Gallagher brothers would often wear Parkas . Live Forever was clearly a reference to Captain Scarlet and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants to the size difference between Noel and his bandmates. The more you think about it, the more brazen it gets. It’s fishier than Area 51, Paul is Dead and JFK's assassination put together. The only glitch to the theory is scale . According to Wikipedia, Anderson’s marionettes were 1’10” and Gallagher is 5’8”. How does he maintain an illusion of avera...