Skip to main content

Arsenal Adventures.


Tonight, I caught the train to Finsbury Park to talk to a pubful of people about Noel Edmonds and gloryholes - which are one and the same thing - before catching the train home again, to sit on a sofa with a cat on my lap and write this.

The gig was fun; one of the most enjoyable I’ve had so far this year. There was a sense of finally getting back on the horse after what’s been a slow and uncertain start to 2017 as regards confidence and direction; finally, I’m beginning to find faith again, and am enjoying talking to an audience about something new; the fact the content is starting to be well-received gives me the push to work on more.

Before I forge too far ahead, I've still got my last performance of Mostly David Ephgrave to go, at the Leicester Comedy Festival on Saturday. I’m looking forward to this too; it will be nice to give it a final airing and then draw a line under it for a while; I’m going to treat it like the last day of term and have fun with it.

I'll do my best not to overcook it before then. I did a run on Sunday and a run today, then I’ll do a couple on Thursday and then leave it until the day. It’s a fine line between reminding yourself of how it goes and going through the motions. I don’t want to be searching to remember the content, nor do I want to be saying the words without connecting to them. Either way, it’s nice when - like today - it’s pretty much all in my head and feels slick. That’s the benefit of having done it so many times in Edinburgh; you can’t beat having that many gigs in quick succession for making you feel match fit. I’m looking forward to when I feel the same about the next show...though this is likely to be some way off.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Have Parker from Thunderbirds and Noel Gallagher ever been seen in the same room? The resemblance is uncanny. So much so, I think something’s afoot. If my suspicions are correct, I've stumbled across a secret that will blow the music and puppet industry wide apart. In the mid-60s / mid-90s at least. It doesn’t take long to see the signposts. There’s the similarity between the name of Oasis’ first single, Supersonic, and Supermarianation, Gerry Anderson’s puppetry technique. The Gallagher brothers would often wear Parkas . Live Forever was clearly a reference to Captain Scarlet and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants to the size difference between Noel and his bandmates. The more you think about it, the more brazen it gets. It’s fishier than Area 51, Paul is Dead and JFK's assassination put together. The only glitch to the theory is scale . According to Wikipedia, Anderson’s marionettes were 1’10” and Gallagher is 5’8”. How does he maintain an illusion of avera...