Skip to main content

Preporatory. Prep.


Much of today was split between meetings to discuss next Thursday’s Letchworth Mostly and doing some preparatory work for my show in Leicester on Saturday.

The meetings were useful, as they allowed Glyn and I to discuss what we’ll be doing performance-wise during the show, and to solve a couple of technical issues that we hadn’t had time to properly discuss yet. We then met a second time in the evening with our techie assistant Paul to let him know what his role will be next week, when he’ll essentially Company Manager the show.

The only sticking point were the are a couple of technical issues we won’t be able to check until we see the space, which we’d hoped to have done before we’d passed information on to Paul. We’re now going there tomorrow morning, when hopefully we’ll be able to quickly check the reliability of the connection to their projector, which if there are any problems with it - as has been suggested by email - we can’t do the show. We’ll save that drama for another day.

This afternoon, I ran my show, factoring in a slight lack of time as I had to pick up my dad from the hospital in the midst of it. It went pretty well, which is heartening for Saturday; now I just need to get my head around the logistics for the day; I should have time to go over all of this tomorrow, after our meeting at the Broadway.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...