Skip to main content

No Turning Back.


Yesterday, I put down the deposit for my Edinburgh digs, thus setting in stone the fact I’m doing the Fringe Festival solo for the second year running.

I’ve known with a degree of certainty for a week or so, though if I’m honest, it was highly unlikely I wouldn’t have gone again. I’d feel I was losing a year if I didn’t, and while in an ideal world Doggett & Ephgrave would be there too, with me doing a solo show as a less pressured side project, that isn’t feasible at the moment; I may as well wave our flag in the meantime, and keep a hand in for both of us.

The good thing is, I’ve engendered it so most of the stuff that worked for me last time will be the same again; I’ve booked the same flat I stayed in last year, and the same venue at the same time slot. I considered opting for a later start-time, but on balance, I’m not sure I would have gained a lot for the increased cost; I’d sooner spend the money on good PR and flyerers (who did sterling work last time), than do a marginally later show at a considerable price increase. I also benefited heavily from being first in the space last year; with a bit of luck that'll be the same this time too, and I won’t have to race to get my tech gear set up.

Now, the only thing I need to do is start writing the show, which inevitably, I haven’t had much chance to do yet. I’ve got some ideas about the route I'd like to take though, so as soon as I get most of the admin done, I'll knuckle down at it. I’ve got work-in-progress dates in Hitchin, Bath and Brighton in the diary already too, so that should give me plenty of time to try stuff out. Worst case scenario, I’ll find a ghost-writer; I’d ask Ewan MacGregor to do it, though if I do, Piers Morgan won’t be impressed.

(Topical.)

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Have Parker from Thunderbirds and Noel Gallagher ever been seen in the same room? The resemblance is uncanny. So much so, I think something’s afoot. If my suspicions are correct, I've stumbled across a secret that will blow the music and puppet industry wide apart. In the mid-60s / mid-90s at least. It doesn’t take long to see the signposts. There’s the similarity between the name of Oasis’ first single, Supersonic, and Supermarianation, Gerry Anderson’s puppetry technique. The Gallagher brothers would often wear Parkas . Live Forever was clearly a reference to Captain Scarlet and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants to the size difference between Noel and his bandmates. The more you think about it, the more brazen it gets. It’s fishier than Area 51, Paul is Dead and JFK's assassination put together. The only glitch to the theory is scale . According to Wikipedia, Anderson’s marionettes were 1’10” and Gallagher is 5’8”. How does he maintain an illusion of avera...