No Joke(s).


I wanted to get some writing today, but sadly, this wasn’t to be.

I went at it with the best intentions, but it was one of those days where everything got in the way. I’ve always found there’s a peak moment in the day when, if you don’t start working, you haven't the brain capacity to see it through. This is usually mid-morning. If you don’t strike while the iron’s hot, there’ll be no iron to strike anyway.

I hate wasting time, particularly when the clock is ticking for my forthcoming work-in-progress dates. I know I have a couple of years’ worth of blogs to fall back on when sourcing material, but it’s a hell of a lot to sift through, and a lot of it won’t necessarily translate into a live setting. I wish I could employ an editor to flick through it all, and then pull out a few that might work.

The problem is the only person I have to motivate me - or tell me I’m on the right or wrong track - is myself. I don’t have the luxury of a producer or director; it all boils down to me. I like to think I’ve got good judgement, but it’s nice to have some outside encouragement too. Left to my own devices, like most creative people, I’ll avoid work if I can. There’s plenty I can find to distract myself with if I want to be distracted.

The thing to do is chalk today down to experience and forget about it. It's also not completely true that I didn't get anything done. I tinkered with a set-piece I brought up in one of our recent radio shows, and also reminded myself of another blog which might be worthy of a little material. Perhaps if I didn’t automatically disregard the things I've done in favour of things I haven’t, I’d realise I’m not in such a bad position after all. Good luck with that, David.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.