What You Need Tonight.


Tonight I went to see Brian Wilson play The Beach Boys' seminal album Pet Sounds, plus a truckload of his other classics at Edinburgh Playhouse, which was just what the doctor ordered at this stage of my Edinburgh run.

I was glad I managed to secure a ticket a week or so after a bit of an online struggle with Ticketmaster as I knew it would be a treat to look forward to, which was perfectly positioned, what with it being the night before my final day off and a short walk from where I'm staying; I’d much rather be watching him than any comedy show or play on the Fringe as he’s a genuine legend and musical genius - to chose two vastly overused phrases - rolled into one. After The Beatles, McCartney and Dylan, I own more of his material than anyone, so to say I’m a bit of a fan is an understatement.

While I was sat the gig and just prior to it, I essentially live-tweeted my experience (although I put my phone down for the duration of Pet Sounds and most of the rest of his set, so I could be free to enjoy it uninterrupted); here’s a record of my evening:

5:38PM: Wouldn't it be nice if my day ended with me seeing Brian Wilson? It does? GREAT.

6:20PM:  The same amount of time has passed since I last saw Brian Wilson live (premiering Smile at Festival Hall in 2004) as that between the release of Good Vibrations and my birth date. I'm deeply uncomfortable about this.

7:24PM: To be in the same room as the man who co-wrote the most perfect and beautiful pop song of all time - God Only Knows - and hear him sing it is an emotional thing. I'm excited.

7:24PM: (I hope he plays Revolver.)

7:38PM: Chance of crying? Signs point to yes.

7:39PM: My eyes are already watering, thinking about it...and I've seen him before.

7:40PM: Ephgrave's watery-eye view.


7:41PM: How am I supposed to cope with it at this stage of my Edinburgh run?

7:45PM: Tonight I kick off my 1942-born bass-playing Gemini Songwriting-whizz Appreciation Society outing with Brian Wilson, which I round off in December with Paul McCartney.

7:57PM: The support act are reminding me why I need to invest in a loop pedal.

8:29PM: The support - Beet Root Revival - were excellent.

8:31PM: What if I've made a mistake and I've actually booked for the Mike Love Baseball Cap Experience?

8:32PM: Here's hoping Brian encores with Vegetables, with Macca on Lead Carrot.

8:42PM: Unlikely orchestral version of Little Deuce Coupe on the house music.

8:43PM: If he closes with Love and Mercy I may struggle to cope with it; tired and emotional.

8:50PM: Fuck. You know you've got a great back catalogue to call on when you open with California Girls.

9:13PM: I'd forgotten Al Jardine currently tours with Brian; bonus Beach Boy. Hope he sings my favourite, Lady Lynda.

9:14PM: Surfer Girl and Darlin', making me sad for the loss of Dennis and Carl.

9:15PM: Sail On Sailor. Double-fuck yes.

11:14PM: Home from Brian Wilson gig (which was a handy 20-min walk from digs). To start a set with the likes of California Girls, Don't Worry Baby & Surfer Girl, close with Good Vibrations, Help Me Rhonda & Fun Fun Fun - & stick the entire Pet Sounds album in the midst of it = ridiculous.

11:20PM: My voice caught in my throat as I sang along more than once & I was a mess of tears by the time he closed with the beautiful Love & Mercy; with the world in such a frightening state at the moment, the childlike innocence of Wilson's lyrics in that song couldn't be more pertinent.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.