Skip to main content

Where Mussolini and Chris Grayling Differ.


I had a follow-up appointment about my ongoing vertigo in London this morning, which meant braving the Chris Grayling-led shitstorm of a national rail service with its supposedly newly phased-in timetable, which I’ve included a scan of below, in case you’re unfamiliar with the changes.

The image is there, I promise.



The new timetable’s very bold and must be saving money across the board. If I’d been given the task of streamlining the UK’s railway network, I don’t think I’d have had the temerity to remove the actual trains from the equation; it’s a stroke of genius akin to bringing Britain’s more stringent fire safety requirements into force post-Grenfell by eliminating every building.

The journey into town was spent sat cross-legged on the floor of the carriage, unable to move thanks to the woman who chose to stand in the barely perceptible space I’d left so people could squeeze past. Thankfully, I had a copy of Private Eye to keep me entertained, or I wouldn’t have known where to look, as she’d given me few options, having practically straddled me while wearing a dress.

The journey home wasn’t too bad once we were on the move, though if I hadn’t decided to board a long-distance train that happened to stop at Stevenage and then catch a bus to Hitchin, I'd still be at King’s Cross now, as just about every train on the screens had been cancelled or was severely delayed, with no inking as to an arrival time (which is another way of cancelling it without owning up immediately). And I paid the best part of £20 for this sterling service.

My appointment was fine, though I had a long wait, as I was told on my arrival that my meeting had been rescheduled to last week (which I’d received no word of whatsoever); the nurse said the specialist would still see me today, but I’d have to wait for all her other patients to be seen first; classic. Still, every moment spent at the hospital wasn't spent on a train, much like what being on a train's currently like.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...