Cambridge's Other Punters.

Yesterday's preview at the Portland Arms in Cambridge was a real joy, just like the year before it.

As with last year’s gig, I shared a bill with Norman Lovett, who’s such an easygoing person to be around; while I’m less likely to overthink it at Mostly Comedy, I’m a lot more choosy about who I book when it’s just the two of us and I’m doing a preview; I don’t want to be with anyone who intimidates me or the whole “I’m not really a comedian” inner-monologue will surface.

While the wealth of Norman's experience is never far from my mind when I see him, he’s such easy company I can quickly overcome it, plus he's appeared at Mostly Comedy so frequently and even took part in a rehearsed reading of a script I wrote with Glyn a few years back; all of which helps me feel comfortable when I’m about to launch into a new show.

The journey to Cambridge was as sweaty and stressful as you might expect in the current heatwave, involving a missed (and presumed early) bus, a taxi no-show and then a couple of round trips when one eventually arrived, due to forgotten equipment. All this conspired to make me arrive an hour later than I'd intended, weighed down by a suitcase and my acoustic; it was a flashback to my actor / muso days, when I’d often take the tube carrying two or three guitars, like a musical pit-pony; a foreboding precursor to my journey to Scotland next week.

The good news is the venue is excellently equipped and well run, which made my get-in pretty easy if a little pushed for time. My wife - who’d agreed to meet me there after work - also had to race to the finish line, arriving a few minutes after the doors were due to open.

The show went well with the audience on board from the beginning, which was encouraging when Norman was clearly the pull. The room's great for comedy, which helped, but the meat of the material was well-received and the structure is starting to settle, plus the songs work, which is a relief. I told Norman beforehand I was worried they might slow down the pace, but he assured me afterwards that they didn't and said, if anything, they helped things along. I still need to fix the end, but things are beginning to fall into place and not a moment too late. Norm was on great form too, so it was a great night all round; same time next year, methinks.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.