Skip to main content

Hotpoint.


Like a lot of people in the UK right now, I’m bored of being so hot.

The last few days I’ve hidden away at home as much as possible, as each time I’ve gone out, I’ve quickly regretted it. I always prefer cold weather to warm, as at least you can do more to combat it; when it’s hot, there’s no escape.

Unfortunately, I had to go into town today, primary to buy clothes to wear in the artwork for my Edinburgh show, which we’re hopefully taking the photo for tomorrow evening; I didn’t want to leave getting something until tomorrow daytime, in case I struggled to find anything and got unnecessarily stressed in the process. This left a tighter window of opportunity as shops obviously close earlier on Sunday; I had intended to go out as late in the afternoon as possible in the hope it would be cooler then, but the BBC weather app told me it was actually likely to be a better temperature around midday, so I decided to take a risk.

One thing I hate about getting hot in public is I always feel it’s just me. By the time I arrived at Next I was dripping with sweat and felt extremely self-conscious about it, and the more aware of it I became the hotter it got. It’s a bit like not being allowed to laugh meaning you can’t stop yourself. As I stood at the counter being served by staff who’d spent the morning under air-conditioning while I’d just walked from home under the baking sun I felt like the highest level of scum; I don’t know what’s wrong with me.

On my way out of the shop I bumped into a friend, but all I could think about throughout our conversation was how hot I felt. I made my excuses pretty quickly and rushed off, not intending to be rude, but just needing to wallow in my own filth until I felt less like a reptile under a heat lamp. Thankfully I timed things just right to catch a bus back to save myself from sweating all the way home; if I had the choice, I’d be permanently sprayed with water like the Mary Rose in the hope that would help regulate my temperature. As long as Prince Charles didn’t attempt to rescue me from my watery grave; my watery Ephgrave.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...