Skip to main content

Beat Me on the Bottom with a Woman's Weekly.


The most striking moment of last night’s Mostly Comedy that I can’t get out of my head was Jan Ravens’ extraordinarily moving tribute to Victoria Wood; I don’t think I’ve applauded harder to anything I’ve seen at the club in ten years (and we’ve seen some amazing things).




The sentiment behind the song rang true to whole room, but then it would, as Jan was performing to a crowd that knew their comedy. While we've lost some inspirational people recently, Wood was one of the hardest to come to terms with and accept; she brought so much energy and heart to everything she did and was the definition of a one-off with a glorious gift for no-nonsense earthy wordplay; there was a kitchen-sink reality to the pictures she’d paint in her stories that Ravens channelled perfectly, somehow underlining the enormity of what we miss in her absence.

I don’t know what it is about humanity, but we never appreciate what we've got until we lose it. Such is the case with Victoria Wood - and while she may be gone, last night in Hitchin she came back for just a few short minutes, which was bittersweet.
Jan Ravens at Hitchin Mostly Comedy last night (20.07.18)

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...