Playing Risk.


I woke up far earlier than I would have liked yesterday and today, which I think is partly due to the proximity of the Fringe and my unanswered questions about my show.

It’s definitely been harder to get in the right frame of mind this year all the way through. Admittedly, I felt similar last year too, and was aware of how much longer it took to get going compared to the year before that, though I was ultimately happy with what I finally arrived at. Maybe that’s just the way it goes, though the challenge comes from doing so much alone when I’d sooner have some collaboration as part of the process, or a sounding board at the very least.

I know I’m tackling something different in this show, more so than I’ve ever before, but I want to get it right. My biggest concern is that the tight running-time won’t allow enough space to broach more serious material and also be comedic. In any arena other than Edinburgh (with its very precise genre llsting) this wouldn’t be worrying, as a show doesn’t have to be out-and-out funny to be entertaining or have a point. The big question is whether to include music. If nothing else, I intend to use my last few previews as a chance to genuinely experiment; being prepared to take risks with ideas that may not work to push my boundaries and arrive at something new.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.