Skip to main content

Badge of Honour.


Today, I sorted out and donated the money we collected for the charity Mind in exchange for the Mostly Comedy badges we gave away at our Festival last week.

Delicate mathematics.


As with our collection to mark Time to Talk Day at January’s show, it was great to see how generous people can be, with a fair few fivers, tenners and even twenty pound notes (twenters?) thrown into the bucket. This time we made £204.73, which was a pleasing byproduct of a festival that was a resounding success, and an encouraging sign of solidarity and understanding for a topic that’s often much-maligned and misunderstood; somehow, a comedy club is the perfect place to raise awareness of the subject of mental health.

It makes me wish I had something I could give away in Edinburgh so I could take a similar collection at my show; I’m not sure what my venue’s policy would be, but it would be great if I could, particularly as my own experience of mental illness features heavily in it. When I previewed the show at the Mostly Comedy Festival I quipped at the end how a donation for Mind was in a roundabout way a donation to me; if I’d been more organised, I could have recorded a CD of the songs in it and given them away in that spirit. I could have called it David’s Mental Megamix, if that didn’t put people off.

I’m still adjusting to discussing the topic in public as it relates to me. Depression has played a huge part in my life for almost as long as I can remember, and has been at its most intense in the past seven or eight years, and yet I’ve kept it a secret from all except my closest friends and my mental health team (yes that’s right: I have a team). Now all of a sudden, I’m about to put it in the public domain in Edinburgh. I’m still not sure how I feel about this as it’s all very new; it feels right in the context of the show and has had a positive reaction in my previews, but I’m trying not to consider the wider picture at the moment as it makes me nervous. It's not shame but it's intensely personal, and the very nature of mental illness is it puts the blame squarely on you by telling you it’s your fault or it’s a weakness; to treat it is a lifetime of unlearning, and discussing it so freely feels a bit like coming out; it’s not telling an audience that worries me as that's within the construct of the show; it’s the fact it will essentially go on record as a result, potentially being referenced in articles and reviews next to my name in big letters (font-depending).

What’s the worst that can happen? I’m a firm believer in tackling problems head-on (no pun intended). Meditation and mindfulness have had a big impact on me and taught me it’s better to accept these difficult feelings exist instead of burying them. It’s a bit like the stuff I discuss in my show about the negative impact of unnecessarily scathing reviews; feeling you can’t admit this only gives these things power. “Fuck them”, that’s what I say; I’m as entitled to say what I think about them as they are to say what they think about me. If I’m honest then it’s no longer a secret and there’s no longer any shame attached to it.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...