On Broadway.

In the interests of covering my promo work for this year's Edinburgh run I thought I'd share in interview I did for Broadway World about it. It's yet to go live, so you read it here first:


Broadway World

David Ephgrave Q&A

Tell us a bit about My Part In His Downfall.

It’s an hour-long deconstruction of my life that’s mostly tongue-in-cheek but occasionally a little more serious. In it, I break down the various peaks and troughs I’ve experienced to try to work out what it is that makes me me. I throw in a few songs I’ve written along the way, and maybe even the odd joke, what with it being billed as comedy and all that.

What was the inspiration for the show?

I wanted to try something different to my previous three solo shows and be more honest about my battle with depression and how being a performer can hinder as much as help me overcome it. It’s a bit of a departure from my other stand-up shows due to this and the use of music, but I’m really enjoying it.

Having performed at the Fringe before do you think you know what to expect?

Pretty much. I learnt the hard way at the first few Fringes I did with my double act Doggett & Ephgrave how mentally and physically exhausting it can be if you overdo it. Consequently, I try to pace myself and spend plenty of time outside the Festival too, so I don’t get too frustrated by it. I do my best to treat it as an opportunity to get match-fit and explore the material, and not expect too much beyond that.


Who would you recommend comes to see it?

Kriss Akabusi. His laugh’s as infectious as the disease living in the walls of my venue.


Are there any other shows you’re hoping to catch at the festival?

I’m sure I’ll go to Phil Kay’s more than once, as he’s an inspiration. I’ll also try to see Rory Bremner and Jan Ravens’ show as they previewed it at my club Mostly Comedy recently and it was brilliant.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.