Skip to main content

Coming Soon to a Fringe Venue Near You.


I’m annoyed to have seemingly missed out on advertising space outside my Edinburgh venue this year, which is very frustrating as I think it made a real difference last time around.

Last year's advert (which I won't have this time, sonny Jim).

I was particularly fortunate last year as the bit of the hoarding with my artwork on it was right by the entrance to The Caves, so was pretty much the first thing you’d see as you walked in; fortunate's definitely the word, as if it had been on ground level (as opposed to the next row up) it would have been almost completely obscured by those big industrial bins you see all around Edinburgh. It’s practically a miracle this wasn’t the case for me as that’s the sort of cruel twist of fate that usually stalks me like my shadow.

Perhaps that’s why I didn’t get anything at all this year; to redress the balance from last year’s advertising coup. I keep chasing the venue about it, but haven’t had any reply, though the deadline for artwork’s tomorrow morning, so I must have missed out. Frustratingly, it’s something I’d enquired about months ago, because it was very important to me, but didn’t hear anything back then either; what can you do?

I can’t help but feel this is another setback I could have done without, having very much wanted a different time slot this time and to not be in a slightly bigger room than usual so early. I feel like I’m firmly on the back foot right from the off, before I’ve even had time to counteract it. I just have to hope a combination of my PR, a good team of flyerers and some positive word of mouth will do the trick instead.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...