Wednesday, 11 January 2017

Keep on R̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ Walking.


This week, I’ve started using Fitbit, to keep track of my physical activity and encourage me to get more exercise.

To be fair to myself, I walk a lot, which is par-for-the-course when you don’t drive. I still feel I can do more. Since getting a bus pass, I’ve got into the habit of using public transport for journeys I could easily manage on foot, which is a slippery slope to take; how long will it be before I can only leave my flat through the roof by winch?

(An impractical route when you live on the ground floor.)
 
Things have started pretty well. I set myself the challenge of 8000 steps a day (a brave move when I'm in the midst of compiling my tax return, which is a largely sedentary act). On Sunday I managed 8562, then 6574 on Monday and 6855 today. Despite coming in a little under the last two days, I’ve been reasonably active; it won’t take much to break my goal.

I’m enjoying it so far. There’s a sense of achievement when you see what you’ve managed, plus it’s definitely a motivator. That said, I don’t want it to be something else to punish myself over if I don’t manage to hit my target like with this blog or with my meditation; the app that assists me with the latter told me this morning I’ve managed to meditate every day for a 117-day stretch, which I’m pleased about, but it won't be the end of the world when I eventually miss it one day; “Nobody’s perfect”, as the guy at the end of Some Like it Hot would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment