I Saw the Sign.


Today's most exciting event was the hanging of a Mostly Comedy banner in Hitchin Market Place.

Where's Wallys?

I should probably scale that statement down by clarifying it was the most exciting event of today for me; I’m sure there were bigger and better things happening somewhere on the planet that were of more significance to humanity than displaying a tarpaulin sign with my face on it, but between that, booking an appointment to get my ears syringed and paying £40 into the bank, it was definitely my personal highlight.

Another thing it’s worth making clear is I didn’t put it up myself, and nor did Glyn. We enlisted the kindly (and more manly) men from Hitchin Fire and Rescue Service as we knew they’d be more adept than us up a rickety ladder, plus it was an excuse to see a fire engine.

Our last attempt at sign hanging was a case in point. Personally, I was blissfully absent, but Glyn and a friend put it up using a ladder that was woefully short for the job while being watched (and called “a pair of cunts”) by a guy drinking outside the pub next door. It wasn’t even worth the abuse, as gale-force wind brought it down a few days later; that, or a wagtail tried to sit on it.

It’s great to have a banner up again, as it literally puts the club in the centre of town and helps raise awareness. It’s surprising how many local people still don’t know about Mostly Comedy, despite its success and the fact it's about to enter its tenth year. If nothing else, it's put us on face-to-face terms with the local fire brigade, though I doubt we’ll get any preferential treatment.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.