Hello?


I sometimes feel I’m on the outside of the group, largely thanks to social media.

It’s probably paranoia, but I often worry people don’t like me, or think I’m self-promoting, detached or arrogant. I suspect I irritate those I know with too many jokes, or by trying to chase up an audience for my shows. Yet again, Facebook is the biggest negative influence, with me regularly feeling like I’m shouting into the darkness to disinterest.

This suspicion also translates to my work, particularly with comedy. I regularly offer gigs, but seldom get any back. I’ll actively mention I’m on the hunt for spots and previews on Facebook and Twitter, in the hope that this might result in an act I know returning the favour, largely to silence - but when someone else does the same thing, or shares what they're up to, the Like Brigade come out in force.

I know I’ve probably got the wrong end of the stick. There’s little point in worrying about what’s happening on Facebook anyway, as it isn't reality. I’d rather live in the real world, but it’s hard to remember this when there’s an internet-enabled device less than an arm’s length away that'll stoke my negative beliefs: what a cheerful blogpost, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.