Early Days(vid).


I’ve spent the last few hours dashing off a bit of autobiographical stand-up.

It focuses on my childhood. It came out in a fury (“…said the actress to the bishop”): partly because the ideas have been gestating for a while (in my 'brainwomb'), and partly thanks to having had a break from the office. It helps that no-one is about. I can speak without being heard. This gives me freedom to talk material out, rather than staring at my screen, worrying about the wording. I record it on my phone as I go; stopping every so often to have a listen and a tinker with it, before recording again.

I’m pleased with the narrative that’s forming. It’s good that it relates to me and is not derivative of someone else’s material (unless there’s a comic out there with an identical upbringing). But will it be accessible and funny to an audience? There are gags in it, but it’s hard to judge their strength when they’re based on things I’ve always known.

If nothing else, it’s my own story. It will probably work better in a solo show than a club gig, but that’s fine. At least I’m getting stuff down. The more I do now, the less I’ll worry when I try it out. It will also save time when I write my autobiography.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.