Speaking For Myself

At this afternoon's casting, I have to speak with something approaching a Swedish accent. I haven't decided which country to approach it from yet. 

Accents have never been my strong point. We didn't cover it at drama school, which is frustrating, as it's an essential part of being an actor. I've managed to scrape by for the past twelve years with my limited arsenal of RP, cockney, scouse and American, but it's starting to wear thin. Those four examples don't even stand up to scrutiny; stick me in a room with the real thing and I'd stick out like a sore, casually racist thumb.

The best I can hope for today is non-specific central European. I hope there aren't any genuine Swedes in the room, as if there are, I won't be able to look them in the face. I'm referring to a Swedish person, of course, and not the root vegetable; I reckon I could do a convincing impression of one of those.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.