How Do You Like Them Apples?


For the last few days, I’ve been helping myself to apples from a box left outside one of the houses on St. John’s Path in Hitchin. Either someone nice lives there, or it’s the Wicked Queen.



It’s a sad indictment of the world we live in, that I first felt mistrust. ‘What have they been laced with?’ I thought to myself. I sunk my teeth into one, expecting a suspicious almond aftertaste. Thankfully, there wasn’t. It tasted of apple. Perhaps they wanted to lull me into a false sense of security, by waiting until I'd started taking them before adding the cyanide. Poison isn’t cheap.

(Not that I'd know myself.)

Leaving out fruit for passersby is a lovely, selfless thing to do. Why can’t more people be like that? I might pop a note in the box to thank them. Would it be impolite to also ask for sandwiches? 

I've just remembered that apple pips contain cyanide anyway. I'm terrified.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.