Local Music.


I’ve managed to have a reasonably restful day, despite fitting a lot in, primarily due to looking after my mum’s pets, as I wrote yesterday.

I had a particularly unusual moment as I sang through a few of my songs from my show, when I realised the song I was running through - Shit Happens - was actually written a hundred yards down the road at our old house on the same street; it was weird to think one of my signature songs was written in the same postcode.

I can still picture quite working on it in my bedroom all those years ago. We only lived here for a short while before my mum briefly moved to Norfolk to open a B&B and I moved into my first flat and went to drama school. Musically speaking, this period coincided with the tail end my band being a four-piece and our then lead guitarist leaving dramatically and the three of us deciding to carry on as a three-piece without him, so it was a crucial time in our development; it was also a key moment for me, overlapping with my leaving school for college and going on to drama school.

While the song has definite associations with the area, not every local was pleased to hear it; my mum’s dog studied me quizzically as I ran through it. He join in during my warm-up though, so he obviously understands the need to train your voice and look after it.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.