Tuesday's the Day.


Today’s show was another fun one, which was just what I needed after arriving at the venue this morning feeling very tired and lacking in energy.

It started a little awkwardly, with just three people in who were all sat on one side of the room, leading to me christening the performance early on as the Crick in the Neck Experience, before another couple snuck in a few minutes into the show and sat on the other side, thus giving my eye-line a greater sense of balance; no need to call a chiropractor just yet.

Without wishing to tempt fate so early on into the game, I’m really enjoying the show at the moment; I’m happier with it than I was with last year’s at this stage and I think the content’s stronger. I’m using the projector more and I think there’s a little more variety to it, what with the songs and the like. One thing I did like was last year’s ending, which tied a lot of the material together; while this year’s ending’s simpler, it's okay too. I’m not saying there aren’t things I’d change - I’m still making adjustments as I go - but the crux of it is it’s fun to perform, which can only be a good thing.

I think what’s changed most is my attitude towards it. For one, I’m getting more used to performing alone; the first solo show I did in Brighton and Camden in 2015 had a greater feeling of weight to it, purely because it was my first attempt at filling an hour on my own and I perhaps tried too hard to do something different to the style of stand-up I’d done with my double act; it was more story-driven and less visual. Last year’s first trek to Edinburgh by myself was a huge step but surprisingly enjoyable nevertheless, and this one comes with a tiny - if still fragile - increase in confidence; I’m starting to forge a path on my own and am becoming more comfortable with my comedic voice. It’s still hard and sometimes lonely, but I’m approaching it lightly and not overly labouring it; it doesn’t have to be taken too seriously and it doesn’t have to take up every moment of my day. If I’m having fun that will hopefully translate to the audience; what I love about it is how every show is different, and it’s the little moments that crop up without warning that make it exciting. Now, I could just do with a few more people through the door, but the fact I’m even getting what I am now is great when you consider the stupendous amount of competition you have on the Edinburgh Fringe; it’s amazing anyone comes at all when there’s so much choice.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.