Skip to main content

Strictly Come Tweeting: Week Seven (05.11.16)


Another week of Strictly went by tonight, though there was no theme of sorts, with Halloween a thing of the past and Blackpool still a few weeks away.

The standard was exceptionally high, but this didn’t stop me from passing my usual armchair critique on Twitter; see below for tonight’s running commentary (and judge for yourself how it reads out of context.)

6:57pm: If Tess Daly writes a book about her #Strictly years, she should call it 'Phoning it in'.

7:02pm: ...because playing pool helps you learn to dance.

7:03pm: Little Richard; not a euphemism

7:13pm: (Pertinent choice of music, what with her being called Daisy and everything.)

7:19pm: Fascinated by the cheek-line of Ore's beard.

7:21pm: Ore & Joanne's routine is like Wham! on an acid trip.

7:24pm: Joanne's dress looks like a camp Neapolitan ice-cream.

7:27pm: The moment someone's poppy falls off, I'm phoning the Daily Mail.

7:29pm: Ed Beatballes.

7:34pm: Laura and Giovanni are totally doing it.

7:36pm: Watching Giovanni, experiencing suit envy.

7:40pm: Darcy enjoyed Giovanni's end: [INSERT EUPHEMISTIC PUNCHLINE HERE].

7:44pm: I'll never know for sure, but I imagine the pain experienced watching Tess Daly do comedy is akin to going through childbirth.

7:46pm: Someone give Tess a sincerity shot, please.

7:50pm: Judge Rinder. Bless 'im.

7:53pm: Tonight's #Strictly is like a hair-extension ponytail showdown.

7:54pm: Louise and Kevin's routine: bloody marvellous.

7:55pm: Tess Daly is like a shit myna bird.

7:56pm: I smell tens.

7:59pm: Louise and Kevin work extraordinary well together (though Kevin seems to work well with everyone he's partnered with).

8:01pm: By stepping on it mid-routine, Natalie made that chaise-longue tax deductible

8:03pm: Bruno recently changed his medication.

8:06pm: Greg's dressed as a snooker player.

8:06pm: It's AJ's birthday today. He's twelve.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...