Have You Heard the One About...?


For someone who professes to be in comedy, I’ve only written three jokes in my life.

That’s not an impressive statistic. I should up my game. My current gag productivity averages out at one every eleven years of my life. I’ll be long dead before I’ve built up enough to fill a joke book. I’ll be lucky to work up a pamphlet.

I’m just not a set-up-and-punchline person. It’s all right occasionally, but isn’t really to my taste. I prefer comedy based around a situation or an observation to simple wordplay. That's why I’m a big fan of Hancock’s Half Hour. While there’s plenty of funny dialogue, it’s mostly character-driven. The roles of Tony and Sid are so well defined that the humour comes from knowing how they think.

The same applies to stand-up. I prefer the storytelling of, say, Phil Kay, to the scattergun one-liners of Tim Vine. Knob gags are my only weakness.

That said, a simple joke does have its place. Here are three Ephgrave originals. Two of them I quite like. One I came up with earlier this week. All three are best read out loud.



1)    What’s do you call a video of some toads having sex? Frogspawn.

2)    What do you get if you contract HIV through your ears? Hearing AIDS.

3)    Henry VIII’s second wife would never rush into a room. She’d just amble in.


I’m aware that the first two need work. The last one is my nest egg. If only I’d been born five hundred years earlier, I'd be quids-in. That, or in the Tower of London.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.