Yours Sincerely.


I wonder if anyone’s ever signed off a letter with “Please hesitate to contact me”?

If they did, it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing, as at least it would be honest; the world may even be a better place (if a more abrupt one). Just think how much time we’d save if we didn’t pussyfoot around and were straight.

Take me as a case in point: I reckon at least half the things I do I really didn’t want to, until I painted myself into a corner and had no choice. That may even be a conservative estimate (with a small c, not a big one; we're not talking any of that ‘Boris Johnson / Michael Gove £350million-a-week-to-the-E.U.’ bullshit: unlike them, I have morals).

That’s not to say we all need to be blunt, just truthful. After all, what appears the easiest option in the short term can be worse in the long-run if you have no faith in it: there’s little worse than going along with something purely through apathy. I wonder how many incompatible relationships did that?

If you’re going to take the candid route, I’d suggest doing it with kindness; if you can’t do that, adopt the Ronan Keating Approach and say nothing at all. Take my first rejection email of 2018, which arrived mere moments after I’d made contact on the 1st of January:
 

Start as you mean to go on, I say.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.