Can't You See?


I’m currently sat in near-total darkness, except for the light from my computer screen and a couple of battery-powered lamps, due to what I hope is a power-cut and not the beginning of the end of humanity as we know it, thanks to the collapse of the National Grid.

I don’t want to spend the rest of my days swapping sexual favours for tins of expired dog food (the favour being a promise not to have sex with the person in question) so I have sustenance to live; or building a barricade around my flat with our furniture to then take turns on keeping watch with my wife in case some renegade punk with a grudge wants to plunder our shizz (I don’t know what any of that means either). I’m not cut out for a fight for survival: I get out-of-breath walking uphill.

If this is Armageddon, my immediate problem is my cat, who’ll probably attempt to eat me if I so much as fall asleep. That’s a risk I’ve faced ever since we got her, to be fair, but it’s far worse when the flat’s pitch-black, as her night-vision's built in.

(Plus she’s always hungry.)

Even if the situation's not as foreboding as all that, it’s still frustrating, as if the power-cut had happened before I packed away our Christmas decorations a few hours ago, I could have seen by the light of our tree. Damn Twelfth Night. Damn it to Hell.

(I’ve just realised that doesn’t make sense, as the lights were mains operated.)

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.