Skip to main content

Come Hell or High Water.


Consecrated ground has the same effect on evil spirits as when I cross the threshold of a Sports Direct. 

(Bang goes the chance to do an advert for them; Sports Direct, not graveyards.)

I visited the Stevenage branch of the sportswear giant (of giant mug-producing fame) this afternoon, to buy a pair of swimming shorts for next week’s trip to Center Parcs. I've seldom felt less comfortable than on entering the premises. It didn't help that a guy I went to school with works there (who compared me to Ned Flanders, on a memorable and still niggling occasion). I had visions of him spotting me across the shop floor and repeating his hilarious Simpsons-based assertion at the top of his voice while the rest of Sports Direct laughed. I have a vivid and paranoid imagination. 

Everything about the situation screamed “awkwardness”. I was completely out of my depth (*swimming pun*). I wandered around the ground floor a few times, having written the first floor off on entry, due to the massive sign at the top of the stairs that said Football Equipment, or something of that ilk. This was my first mistake; what better place to hide the swimwear than amongst the football kits? Even browsing the shorts made me feel uncomfortable. I haven't swum in years. The last time I got into a swimming pool was in 2011, to film a sketch for Doggett & Ephgrave's Comedy Shorts, and on that occasion I was dressed from top to toe in camouflage gear; lidos aren’t my natural habitat.

Once I'd found the right section, I didn't hang about. I chose a pair that looked vaguely suitable and rushed to the nearest till. Thankfully, my school 'friend' wasn’t about. The girl who served me offered me a bag for life, which was ironic as she was dead behind the eyes. Just be thankful I didn't buy trunks.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...