Skip to main content

Out on the Town (In a Low-Key Fashion).


I went out with my friend Stephen tonight, on one of our famous Old Man Pub Crawls.

It could be a sign of maturity that these days, little in the way of alcohol is imbibed. Actually, it’s more likely to do with the fact that Steve works in Hitchin but lives in Stevenage and has to drive home afterwards and I can no longer drink to excess (or INXS) without feeling sick in the night. I’m not sure what happened to me to bring about this change, but it’s probably for the best; no-one wants to see a rowdy inebriated Ephgrave roaming the streets.

You’d think that this many years into our relationship – around twenty-three - we would have covered just about every possible topic of conversation we could. In many ways, you’d be right. We long ago reached the stage where we’d prefigure each story with “I may have told you before, but…”. Yet tonight I learnt that he can’t solve Magic Eye pictures (if 'solve' is the right word) and I told him bizarre mental trick I used to use to counteract my shy bladder. Of the two anecdotes, he drew the short straw.

For two Kings of Social Awkwardness, we had a good evening. I felt less self-conscious than usual, which was surprising considering I hadn’t been out all day, save a trip to the shop over the road to buy some chocolate buttons. Any calories burnt on my journey were no doubt replaced as soon as I consumed them. That’s not to say that today was wasted, as I started booking acts for Mostly Comedy’s New Year dates. Plus I ate the buttons, which was time well spent. Tasty, tasty time well spent.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...