Skip to main content

Play the Pipes of Peace.


For the past few days, I’ve been enjoying listening to one of Paul McCartney’s least well-regarded albums, Pipes of Peace.

To give you an idea of how little it’s liked, even the majority of fans on his official forum - who you'd think would have a more red-rose-speedway-tinted view toward his work - find it hard to say a good thing about it. When it was announced that it would be remastered and re-released as the next instalment of his current reissue series (alongside the critically acclaimed Tug of War), the news was met with derision on the Macca Message Board (though you should never listen to people on the Internet. Especially bloggers; they’re the worst). Even I, a full-time ‘McCadvocate’, pulled a face when I heard about it - and questioned why he’d choose it over everything else.

Not that I haven’t given the album a fair chance in the past. Every so often, I return to the oft-neglected or derided parts of his back catalogue (in a loose sense, I'm referring to the 1980s) to see if there’s anything I’ve missed, or misunderstood. I’ll occasionally see a song or two in a new light, but in the case of Pipes and Peace and the gated-snare-tastic '86 album Press to Play, I’d usually find myself turning the light off, removing the bulb (using a tea towel to absorb the heat) and chucking it in the bin.

(A clunky metaphor but my point still stands.)

I’m not sure what’s caused my slight change of heart. Either I've become more open-minded and mellow with age or I've completely lost my judgement. These days, I tend listen to music when I’m in the bath, and for some reason, Pipes of Peace has been on my ablutive playlist for the past week. Don’t get me wrong: I still think it peters out towards the end and has its fair share of cringe-worthy lyrics, but somehow McCartney’s relentless enthusiasm for music and melody still shines through the dross; even when he’s not at his best, he’s still got more to offer than most.

McCartney fans tend to fall into two categories: those who like him when he’s considered and serious (à la Tug of War and Chaos and Creation in the Backyard) and those who like it when he’s off-the-wall and wacky (McCartney II and Pipes of Peace). I fall somewhere between the two, slightly favouring the former. I just wish he’d pay more regard to his solo work when he’s gigging, rather than falling so heavily on The Beatles. I also wish he’s stop attempting to hit the high notes in Maybe I’m Amazed and turn his attention to something recent. 

One person I never expected to sing Pipes of Peace's praises was Manic Street Preachers front man James Dean Bradfield. His passion for it almost makes me forgive the atrocious If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next; almost, but not quite.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...