Twitter Mash-up.


Intriguingly, two of my tweets were quoted in articles on the social media-centric website-cum-blog Mashable in the last three weeks. Both related to television programmes that are popular fodder on Twitter: The Great British Bake Off and University Challenge.

I find this more exciting than I probably should. It’s flattering to be referenced, as it suggests that I got something ‘right’, (whatever that means in this context). I have a habit of being Twitter-trigger-happy with these shows, which is perhaps surprising, as I shun a lot of current popular culture and reality TV. My friend Stephen - who’s a regular guest on Doggett & Ephgrave’s radio show - is even more of a Troglodyte than me, and would no doubt be ashamed if he was aware of my slightly skewed, out-of-character interests and habits.

(I’m still talking about Twitter.)

Tweeting along with these shows is par for the course when you're a comedian, or at least, that’s how I’d justify it to Steve. In reality, I do it because I enjoy it. Reading and contributing to a trending Twitter hashtag on a programme makes for a fun and amusing running commentary to the show; particularly in the case of University Challenge, where my bitching is some small solace for my ignorance.

Sometimes I take this habit too seriously. I insist on watching GBBO and Strictly Come Dancing live, rather than on catch-up, which can irritate my wife (though probably not as much as my constant “How do you spell…?” and “What’s his name?” questions).

Though it’s relatively inconsequential, it’s gratifying that these tweets were noticed. If I could earn a living by being funny in short bursts online instead of in front of an audience, I’d be at it in a heartbeat.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.