Skip to main content

I Get Around.


Today’s been a day of mass-sociability. 

I met my mum for coffee this morning, which was nice, as I haven’t seen her much lately. ‎We went through a phase of going out for lunch every week, which waned due to our lessening availability (an elaborate way of saying we had less time). While we were only together for an hour today, we still managed to fit in good catch up. Even if we hadn't, I'd say we did, as she often reads this. 

My mum then gave me a lift to Letchworth, to meet my friend Sarah at her new studio (she's an artist). I hadn't seen it until today. It's tucked away in a massive industrial estate (sounds like an insult: "You massive industrial estate"), so the search for her unit made me feel a bit like Anneka Rice. It didn’t help that my mobile’s Sat Nav had a deep-seated issue with her address and wouldn’t come to my aid. I couldn’t tell if it was directing to her studio, or just to “Letchworth” (which is no help when you’re already in it).  I refused to let my navigational skills be beaten, despite my mum’s repeated suggestion to ring Sarah for directions. In the end, she dropped me off at Lidl – and somehow, with just my instincts as my guide, I managed to find it, though I was twenty minutes late.

It was great to see Sarah, and to have a tour of her new space. It’s lovely, with much more room than her previous place; it makes Doggett & Ephgrave's office look like a cupboard (but then so does a cupboard). Her latest painting's bloody excellent and possibly my favourite. I’d buy it if I weren't a pauper.

A few hours later, we walked into town, where I waved Sarah goodbye, only to turn around and bump into an actor / musician friend of mine, Mike, who I haven’t seen for years. This led to an impromptu coffee and my third social outing of the day. I now know what Paris Hilton feels like (but that’s a different story).

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...