The (Book)worm Has (Re)turned.


I’m enjoying being a member of my local library once again.

For twenty years, they spelt fear. This was due to a misunderstanding regarding an overdue book that I swore I’d never had, for which the fine was never settled. Until April this year, when I finally decided to face the music and attempt to renew my membership, I felt nervous whenever I ventured near one. What if they had posters of my face up?

Thankfully they didn’t, the fine was waived and I’ve been making the most of the luxury of borrowing books ever since. It’s wonderful. It makes me wish I’d fixed the situation sooner; just think how well-read I’d be if I had.

I used to have a bit of a hang-up about reading books I didn’t own. There’s something satisfying about seeing them all up on a shelf (though it would have to be a long one). While I still love buying books and increasing my collection, to just do this isn’t cost- or space- effective. Who cares if you’ve paid for it*? It doesn’t improve your reading experience, or how you perceive the story in your head.

While I’ve always been an avid reader (or a David reader), I haven’t consumed books with such voracity in ages. I have my local library to thank for that. I just wish they didn't prevent me from reading aloud on the premises.

*ANSWER: the author, the publisher and the owner of the bookshop.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.