The No Show.


I’ve just got home from recording this week’s ‘In Your Inner Ear’, which goes out on Sunday.

The theme for tonight’s show – episode twenty-three, no less – was ‘No’. While my last sentence may sound like I’m channeling Frankie Howerd, I assure you I’m not; if I were, I would have followed that ‘No’ with a ‘Now, listen’.

It was nice to record a new episode, as this was something we didn’t think we’d be able to do due for a while, due to Glyn’s and my lack of shared availability. This has now changed, meaning we have a little more time at our disposal. Tonight we tried out a new mixing desk that we’d bought primarily to enable us to record the show with us both in separate locations, should we not be able to find a time when we could both be in the same room (we haven’t fallen out). As it stands, don’t need this option as much as we did, but it was still nice to use better and smaller equipment than the cumbersome desk we’d been using to date. The sound was cleaner than usual, which is a definite improvement.

The show itself flew by pretty quickly. We’ve taken to gently rambling off topic more than we used to, which hopefully still being on the right side of not being self-indulgent. It will be interesting to hear it back when it goes out, to verify this; I know I felt our last episode was a little too loose as we recorded it, only to enjoy it when it was broadcast; it goes to show that you can’t always tell how something is coming across while you’re doing it.

As for the rest of the day, it was spent sending out press releases for this month’s Mostly Comedy (which sold out yesterday, despite still being two weeks away), cat-sitting for a friend, putting together a playlist for the recording, and picking up a prescription. My life’s a non-stop hedonistic thrill; I’m the Shaun Ryder of comedy. The one thing it wasn’t spent doing was writing for my work-in-progress show, which was very frustrating, as something always seems to get in the way. I want to make sure I knuckle down over the next few days, as the more material I work up, the more useful those dates will be. It would be nice to be able to prioritise without any additional distractiosn. Still, as Madness would say, “Tomorrow’s another day”. Or “Tomorrow’s just another day”. I clearly didn’t think this through. Perhaps it would be best to leave it that. After all, it’s gone midnight, and a man like me needs his beauty sleep.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.