Skip to main content

Craic-ing Up.


Of all the potential choices for 'on-hold music' you could go with, a musical theatre version of Danny Boy isn't the one.

It was while calling the Grove Theatre in Dunstable to opt for a credit to be kept on my account due to the cancellation of a Sean Lock gig there tonight, that I was faced with this aural monstrosity. The show was pulled due to unforeseen circumstances, which couldn’t be helped, what with them being unforeseen and all that. The staff were pleasant and efficient when it came to sorting it all out, but I could still have done without the quasi-Irish prelude to our conversation.

They must have had to field a lot of calls today as a result of the cancelled gig, with many of them from irate ticket-holders with zero understanding of the situation; thanks to running a comedy club, I know exactly what the public can be like. I'm sure the venue would have given themselves an easier ride though, if they’d chosen less offensive hold-music; the death metal album Eaten Back to Life by the band Cannibal Corpse would have done it.

It’s a shame the show was cancelled, as I’d bought the tickets as a Christmas present for my dad who - like me - is a big Lock fan. If I could just get him to play Mostly Comedy in the near future, it would act as compensation. I could have been worse: in 2002, I was standing in the queue to see Paul McCartney at Sheffield Arena, when an announcement came across the tannoy to say the gig had been pulled because he'd lost his voice. A sea of confused and saddened middle-aged men in Beatles t-shirts and Nineties-Macca mullets surrounded me everywhere I looked. I’ve never faced disappointment in such like-minded company since. If only he hadn’t damaged his Pipes of Peace.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...