Today's Fires to Extinguish.

It's very hard to write anything here that isn't about my dad, as his care is overwhelming everything at the moment.

I hadn't intended on visiting him today as I'm back there tomorrow to assist with a physio appointment and oversee the delivery of a new washing machine, as his old one decided to give up the ghost last week in the midst of all the madness. Then, when I was out walking my dog, I was mulling it over and decided it would be good to go today to reorganise his medication; ultimately I'm glad I went, as the scene I arrived to was pretty bleak and needed some intervention. 

The biggest sticking point in all of this is my dad himself, who is essentially refusing to eat or drink properly, or do any of his exercises, or even attempt to get out of bed. I understand how difficult it must be for him right now, but as ever, his biggest enemy is himself; the situation has been compounded by his inactivity and lack of self-care and we're all being sucked into this self-destructive spiral as a consequence.

The question is: what to do now? At least I managed to convince him to have some Weetabix before I left, which is more than he'd had in a day or two. We're also keeping an eye on the carers coming and going, and do our best to show gratitude and thanks to them for what they've done. All we can do is let the day unfold and take each day as it comes (to roll our a few platitudes).

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.