Thirty-Six Months Ago; That's Not a Lot.


It’s hard to fathom, but today sees the third anniversary of Paul Daniels’ appearance at Hitchin Mostly Comedy; a night that will hold the title of our Most Memorable and Exciting Gig forever.

The evening was wonderful from beginning to end, with Paul and his wife Debbie McGee being both low-key and hands-on from the off; happy to be a part the night and to throw themselves into the spirit of it. It also happened to be of huge significance to me personally, as before I was an actor, musician and comedian (and wicker-bottom chair repairer) I wanted to be a magician, and it was the Paul Daniels Magic Show that sowed the seed of my becoming a performer (which Daniels refused to take the blame for when I told him).

While that show would have been special regardless, it became all the more marked when Paul sadly passed away just four months later. I’m grateful I got to meet my hero, though I would have of course loved it to have been the first of many times he darkened our doors (which I’m sure he would have done if things been different). What inspires me most is how limber and dexterous he was and how razor-sharp his patter was for a man of his age; of any age really. While I wish he could still be with us today, the fact he could still hold audiences in the palm of his hand right up to the end is a delightful thing to consider. Thanks Paul and Debbie; thanks a million.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.