Nothing Comes From Nothing.


I’m frustrated that the cancellation of last week’s Mostly Comedy has put me in an impossibly tight financial situation and fed up with the amount of work I put into something that can so easily be affected by pulling a date.

On one hand, I kind of had the deciding vote when it came to the show not going ahead, so I feel responsible for it, which is all the more irritating now I’m out of pocket as a result. While we’ve yet to actually receive any complaints about the cancellation, this is unusual, as people are often very unreasonable about these things, which only compounds the frustration with the amount of work you put in for the amount of money you take out, particularly when cancelling a date is more involved than it going ahead; I can't imagine many of the people who moan about these things would have stuck with a project like the club for as long as Glyn and I did before we took anything out of it financially (we’re talking years here).

It just so happens last week’s date would have brought in enough funds to buffer projects like the St Alban’s shows (which aren’t particularly viable at the moment) while also giving me some money to go toward Christmas. Now, I don’t know what I’m going to do. It makes me feel like I shouldn’t have taken the money I’d paid myself recently from it, which wouldn’t have been a problem if the show hadn’t been pulled. It’s at times like this I wonder why I put so much time into the club for what I get out of it. This feeling will undoubtedly pass, but the lack of money will remain; at least the people who book for the shows usually get what they want out of it, but that’s seldom the case for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.