A Whiter Shade of Album.


This evening, I treated myself to a from-the-beginning-to-the-end listen of the newly remixed fiftieth anniversary edition of the White Album (that no-one on the planet refers to by its real name ‘The Beatles’).

Only the other day, it occurred to me why the band might have decided to make this specific record eponymously-titled; the album they released the year before was essentially put out under a pseudonym - Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - to give them freedom to step outside (love) of their perceived identity and try new ideas, so in that spirit, it makes sense that they’d want to make the album that followed, which was essentially back-to-basics (as far as any Beatles project was) - more firmly-rooted in their own brand again. That said, it’s a shame they couldn’t go with the working title ‘A Doll’s House’ (which was nabbed by the prog band Family) as that would have reflected the eclectic tracklist perfectly.

One thing returning to the White Album reminded me was the extraordinary level of creativity oozing from their pores at this stage of their career; the number of songs they had to call on when they convened at George's house in Esher post-India to record demos was verging on ridiculous (hence the fact it’s a double album) and was symbolic of the seemly never-ending evolution of a band whose entire recording career lasted just eight years; a mere heartbeat before “Happiness of a Warm Gun’ and ‘Revolution 9’, they were ‘She Loves You’-singing teen heartthrobs; the speed they worked at makes my brain ache.

I must admit I never thought I’d buy another copy of the White Album after they remastered their back catalogue in 2009, which I snapped up as a complete box set soon after its release. Now, nearly ten years on they’ve put it out again, this time newly-remixed, which is a subtle difference, though it does beg the question whether they’ll do the same with the rest of their work. Also, is it necessary? To hand their mastertapes to a new producer for reinterpretation seems a little revisionistic, whether that producer is George Martin’s son or not; I’m not sure having my dad attempt my stand-up material would be wise, however intriguing the performance might be (for the right or wrong reasons).

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.