Skip to main content

You Couldn't Have Found a More Down Hero.


Controversially, one of my favourite Wings albums is their final one, Back to the Egg, and one of my favourite songs on it is the soulful groove-driven 'Arrow Through Me'.

I was surprised, on hearing the episode of ‘Take It Away: The Complete Paul McCartney Podcast’ devoted to the album to hear the show’s hosts say they didn’t like Macca’s vocal performance on this song when, for me, it’s part of what makes it so good; it fits the feel of it perfectly. I really favour the sound of Paul’s voice around this time, particularly on the more belty numbers, as there’s more grit in there than usual (a sound he definitely plays with on this song, despite it being less of a rocker).

I only learnt recently that 'Arrow Through Me' doesn’t have any guitars on it, not even a bass, which I also found surprising, as there's a warmth to the recording that you wouldn’t expect from an almost entirely keyboard-based number. What makes the song for me is the melody, which jumps all over the place in typical McCartney style. It’s a shame the album it's on was such a flop as it seems to have clouded Paul’s opinion of it; he’s seldom has anything good to say about 'Back to the Egg', although funnily enough, he did mention this song in particular around the release of his recent career retrospective compilation ‘Pure McCartney’ (which it features on), saying he’d forgotten about it until someone at his office dug it out for him; Paul said he liked it so much, he had to show it off to his band’s drummer as he thought he’d like the groove.

This particular period of Macca’s career was typically productive. Another story I only read recently recalls him challenging the rest of the band to write a b-side to the single Goodnight Tonight appropriately overnight, saying whoever came up with the best song would get it on the flipside of the record. You can probably guess who won; I’ll give you a clue: he played bass for The Beatles. This is what he came up with…

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Have Parker from Thunderbirds and Noel Gallagher ever been seen in the same room? The resemblance is uncanny. So much so, I think something’s afoot. If my suspicions are correct, I've stumbled across a secret that will blow the music and puppet industry wide apart. In the mid-60s / mid-90s at least. It doesn’t take long to see the signposts. There’s the similarity between the name of Oasis’ first single, Supersonic, and Supermarianation, Gerry Anderson’s puppetry technique. The Gallagher brothers would often wear Parkas . Live Forever was clearly a reference to Captain Scarlet and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants to the size difference between Noel and his bandmates. The more you think about it, the more brazen it gets. It’s fishier than Area 51, Paul is Dead and JFK's assassination put together. The only glitch to the theory is scale . According to Wikipedia, Anderson’s marionettes were 1’10” and Gallagher is 5’8”. How does he maintain an illusion of avera...