Face Up to It.


While I’m not often one for joining in with these things, I found myself succumbing to the lure of #FirstHeadshotDay / #OldHeadshotDay today on Twitter.

Face (c)1981 David Ephgrave; photo (c) Mark Davis (2002)

When I saw my first CV photo again, which was taken in 2002, it struck me just how young I look. I remember the shoot clearly, because getting your first headshot when you leave drama school is a very big moment.

It was taken by MAD Photography’s Mark Davis in the studio in his house in Enfield. I think I shared the shoot with my actress friend Moya, though I may be misremembering it. I know I was nervous, probably more about keeping my hair intact than anything. The moment that sticks in my mind the most was when the photographer tried to get me to smile with my mouth open, which I don’t really do, and me feeling very uncomfortable and forced about it.

“But you look like Stan Laurel when you don't", was his considered response, which makes me wonder if I was tugging at my hair when he said it; whatever it was, you’ll notice my mouth's closed in the chosen photograph.

(c) Claire Grogan (2006)

My next headshot was taken four years later by Claire Grogan and I was far happier with it. I look more relaxed and self-assured, probably because I'd had more experience and knew what I wanted. I remember really enjoying the shoot, which seems odd, as if anything it was the sort of thing I’d usually dread; I just really liked her approach.

(c) Gemma Poole (2012).

My wife took my most recent headshot in 2012. It may be six years old, but I think I can still pass for it. The shoot was inevitably very comfortable as I’m so used to her taking my photo, though her pictures tend to be less posed and more off-the-cuff usually; whatever the case I’m very happy with it, so "Gis a job…"

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.