Skip to main content

'University Challenged': Week Thirty-Five


Lowery is the closest thing we’ve had to a classic University Challenge contestant this series, though his old-fashioned garb doesn’t provoke as much hilarity as a single, extreme facial expression from Monkman.

Oh, how I miss Monkman and his Monkmanny ways, which made each appearance comedy gold. There just hasn’t been anything to match that this year, which is very disappointing as it’s the only reason I watch it, really; I crave as many self-conscious students on the programme as possible to at least make me feel a little better about myself; when it comes to University Challenge, I’m a selfish audience member.

Even though this year’s series hasn’t excited me as much I still persist with the live tweeting most nights. Here’s tonight’s Twitter record…

8:33PM: Woodland: eyebrows like inverted commas.

8:34PM: Lowery, sponsored by affectation.

8:37PM: Thomas' hobbies include taxidermy, trapping animals with the intention of performing taxidermy on them...and the dark arts.

8:40PM: Lowery isn't a real contestant, he's the ghost of a Victorian gentleman visible in the studio due to the stone tape theory.

8:41PM: Lowery smells of mothballs.
8:43PM: Woodland's eyebrows look like late-stage tadpoles.

8:45PM: Lowery's favoured style of swimming costume.


8:46PM: Imagine Lowery walking through the Sunderland streets on a Friday night. Asking for trouble.

8:48PM: Lowery's mobile phone.



8:49PM: You just know Lowery's bow tie isn't a clip-on.

8:50PM: Imagine Lowery at a barbecue.

8:52PM: Got Bernstein and Lenny Bruce; nailing it.

8:56PM: "Wiberg? Why today? I'm all through here, on my way. There's nothing left here that I'll miss, Why send me now a night like this?"
Merton - Oxford Vs.

8:58PM: A 'What the Butler Saw' is Lowery's chosen brand of television.


Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Have Parker from Thunderbirds and Noel Gallagher ever been seen in the same room? The resemblance is uncanny. So much so, I think something’s afoot. If my suspicions are correct, I've stumbled across a secret that will blow the music and puppet industry wide apart. In the mid-60s / mid-90s at least. It doesn’t take long to see the signposts. There’s the similarity between the name of Oasis’ first single, Supersonic, and Supermarianation, Gerry Anderson’s puppetry technique. The Gallagher brothers would often wear Parkas . Live Forever was clearly a reference to Captain Scarlet and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants to the size difference between Noel and his bandmates. The more you think about it, the more brazen it gets. It’s fishier than Area 51, Paul is Dead and JFK's assassination put together. The only glitch to the theory is scale . According to Wikipedia, Anderson’s marionettes were 1’10” and Gallagher is 5’8”. How does he maintain an illusion of avera...