Solitary Con(medy)finement.


One thing I’m finding hard to get my head around as I approach another Edinburgh is ignoring the loneliness that goes with putting together a solo show again.

(This will be my fourth in three years, or my difficult fourth album.)

I don’t know what it is - it’s probably just cumulative - but I’m finding it difficult to work up the requisite energy. I think it's partly due to the lack of an outside influence to coerce me into doing it. Most of what I do starts and ends with me, and with each passing year, this self-sufficiency becomes boring; I long for the time when someone else brings something to the table that excites and inspires me and becomes a kicking-off point for something creative, but that's not really an option now I'm no longer in a band and my double act's been on a low pilot-light for a few years.

Despite my despondent tone, today's actually been a good day creatively, after a thorough sifting through my blog (searching keywords that fit the remit of the title of this year’s show) brought up a lot of material that could potentially work for it; though it can be frustrating to keep the blog up, it's an invaluable resource for me. I may have lost this weekend’s work-in-progress dates in Bath due to circumstances beyond my control, but that’s not to say the time won't still be of use, I just wish I had a sounding board to bounce my ideas off more often.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.