Healthy Alternative.


I went to visit my dad in hospital in Cambridge today and, considering how things were just three days ago - and how bleak the prognosis was - the improvement is pretty damn miraculous; it’s the Second Coming in an Ephgrave sense.

This only serves to illustrate how incredible the human body is and what it can cope with. It’s also a reminder of what an excellent job the NHS does (which was something I wrote about a few days ago). Without a couple of well-meaning nurses giving my dad some medication towards the end of Friday primarily to make him comfortable he may very well have not been with us today; it just goes to show you what a crapshoot life is, to use a ostensibly negative word in a positive sense; it’s all just a succession of small decisions which add up to make a whole, for good or for bad; I can only be eternally grateful things turned out as they did as they very nearly didn’t.

The hospital in Cambridge (Addenbrooke’s) is pretty space-age in it’s own way. You can get a bus very easily from the station (which I did with my mum both on our way and back) and the ward my dad’s in amazingly doesn’t feel like a furnace; I’m not actually convinced it’s a hospital but an elaborate set, which would match my “how the hell did I get here after the terrible events of the weekend?” mindset; I'm not going to argue about it thought as long as my dad (and everyone else I care about) is okay; that's the most important thing I can say.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.