'University Challenged: Week Thirty-One' (12.03.18)


I sometimes wonder why I live-tweet University Challenge so incessantly.

Is it a way of shifting focus from the clear gaps in knowledge when it comes to the subject-matter of most of the show’s questions? I see myself as a reasonably intelligent human being with a fairly wide field of reference until I turn to BBC2 on a Monday evening, when I morph into a gibbering, dribbling cretin. At least with Only Connect (which they now air before University Challenge, which is a mistake: it used to be quiz-show dessert, but now it’s a misplaced first course) I stand a fighting chance; with University Challenge, the only one-upmanship I can muster is I’m marginally less socially awkward than the show’s contestants…though it's probably a close-run thing.

See below for tonight’s childish Twitter ramblings:

Merton - Oxford Vs. Edinburgh (12.03.18)

8:32PM: Paxman looks so very, very, very, very weary.

8:33PM: Thomas looks like a Nazi android, if there's such a thing.

8:34PM: Carson is played by Patrick Marber.

8:35PM: Bow tie, waistcoat, poor posture: fuck's sake.

8:36PM: Woodland thought she was appearing on Big Break.

8:40PM: Merton Oxford's Thomas (right).


8:41PM: Apologies: Merton Oxford's Thomas (left).

8:45PM: Rules of Bow Tie Acceptability:
1) Should you wear a bow tie?
NO, YOU SHOULDN'T*.
(*Unless you're Matt Smith.)

8:47PM: That opera was written by Opera Winfrey.

8:49PM: I basically spend the whole of #UniversityChallenge imitating Paxman's quiet "no" and loud "NO".

8:52PM: To unwind, Thomas emotionlessly performs taxidermy on a newly-deceased family pet.

8:55PM: Edinburgh Carson.


8:58PM: When Paxman can't even be bothered to say "no".

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.