Under the Weather.


Frustratingly, I’ve had to pull out of tonight’s Hitchin Mostly Comedy as I’ve contracted some sort of Death Plague over the past two days, which has really knocked me for six (to use a cliché).

The timing’s annoyed me as I had some new material earmarked for tonight that I really wanted to scratch off the list and get out in the open, but ultimately, it wasn’t worth putting myself through it when my concentration is shot. If it were just the gig it wouldn’t be so bad, but Mostly Comedy days are always long; too long to keep on top of yourself when you’re head’s pounding and your skin feels like someone’s running a scouring pad over you.

What’s striking tonight is Glyn’s and my longtime friend and director Glen Davies will be hosting tonight in our place, which is marked, as for years, I’ve tried to call his bluff and make him do a spot at the club. It just so happens he has comedy on his mind this year as he’s taking his first stand-up show to the Edinburgh Fringe, so I thought he might consider it; I sent him a preemptive text last night and today he confirmed he’d be up for saving the day. It’s just a shame I’m not there to see a Mostly Comedy performance which has been ten years in the making, but at least I’ll get to watch his solo show soon (in fact we’re sharing a bill of previews in July). I’m hugely grateful to him for stepping in; it helps that he also knows Norman Lovett (having directed a rehearsed reading we did with him a few years ago) so he’s on familiar territory.

The only other downside to all this is I haven’t been able to do any writing today through feeling so rough. This blog may suggest otherwise, but I just don’t have the brainpower for it. All the more reason to rest tonight so I can get back on the case next week. Now, forgive me while I paint a big red cross on my front door…

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.