Skip to main content

Tears.


The past few days have been sad ones for the comedy industry, what with the loss of two old-time comic greats, Ken Dodd and Jim Bowen.

I never got to see one of Dodd’s infamously epic shows in person, which was a shame, as it would have been fascinating to see a performer of almost unparalleled experience at work. I actually tried to book him twice for Mostly Comedy, which didn’t work out, which was a pity, as it would have been a real coup for the club and a solid learning experience.

Hearing Ted Robbins eulogise Ken Dodd on BBC Breakfast on Monday served to reiterate just how distinctive his comic voice was; Robbins inevitably slipped a couple of his gags into conversation, and not only were they perfect, you could also hear Dodd’s delivery in the air (as opposed to in his hair, which was another trademark). There aren’t many comedians who can be present in their own jokes while also not being there.

As for Jim Bowen, I was lucky enough to meet him and see him work at Glyn’s and my first Edinburgh Fringe in 2008. We went to a live version of the game show Bullseye, mainly for the kitsch flashback to our Eighties childhoods, but it was lovely to watch Bowen do some stand-up too. It wasn’t the only time we spotted him on the Fringe; a few years later, we were doing a set as part of a mixed bill, when he stuck his head around the door in the midst of it, like he was looking for someone; it was a surreal, yet perfectly timed moment; it’s not every day that the guy who was always on the telly when you visited your grandfather as a kid appears unannounced: things don’t get much more random than that.

Doggett, Bowen and Ephgrave, 2008.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...