Skip to main content

North London New Stuff.


I did a ten-minute spot of mostly new material at the lovely Famous First Words gig at the Gunners Pub in Arsenal tonight, making a point of not mentioning my parents' since-the-mid-1960s Spurs Season ticket in the process.

It's a Bed-in.


I messaged the promoter yesterday on a whim to see if he'd be prepared for me to stage an intervention with a bed sheet and a projector, so I could try some of my slideshow-based material; because he’s a decent chap, he said yes, which was great, as with my Bath work-in-progress dates looming on the horizon, the more chances I get to run stuff, the better.

Easily the most pleasing moment for me was when the video-based gag I opened with, which is my favourite new bit (and took a fair amount of time to edit) got a big laugh. This year’s show is at a very early stage, but I plan to sprinkle similar clips throughout it as a palate cleanser - and the fact this one worked gives me the impetus to see this through; not in time for Bath, but hopefully for Brighton.

It’s ridiculous that in all the years Glyn and I have been doing projector-based stuff, we’ve never used a white sheet as a backdrop instead of lugging a screen to the venue. I’d obviously always prefer a proper one, but if I’m travelling on my own it’s easier without, plus I had an inkling it would work at The Gunners as I'd been there before. This morning, I picked up a crisp double sheet (unfitted) from Argos and a few bulldog clips from Wilkinson, which did the trick. I arrived at the venue early enough to set everything up before anyone was there, so I didn’t worry the organiser with the amount of kit I'd brought. Now, I just need to get my head around my Bath dates this weekend; if only bedding wasn't the only new material available in Argos.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...